Monday, August 15, 2011

Stuck in a winter storm

Early yesterday morning my dad dropped me off at Melbourne airport for my three hour flight to Queenstown, NZ. It all went smoothly, we made our decent but just seconds before the tarmac the pilot hit the throttle and accelerated rapidly back up into the sky. We were re-routed to Christchurch as it was unsafe to land in the blizzard conditions.

I was re-booked on a flight at 8 am this morning but when I awoke to howling winds and snow I knew it was not going to happen. I arrived at the airport to see all flights had been cancelled. They got our hopes up with talks of shuttle buses but that was impossible with every road into Queenstown closed.

So I'm back in the airport hotel again tonight and most likely tomorrow night as well. I'm hoping for an improvement in the weather but looking out my window now it looks like the 50 year storm :(

This was the highlight of my day.....   Jealous Ellen Trigger?


No comments:

Post a Comment